Pinned [O] Post

In fora such as Regular REL and Competitive REL, there is often a lot of discussion (as there should be!) before a conclusion is reached. It would be useful to have an automatic post appear as the very first response to the thread, which can later be edited by [O], so that the thread can have a long discussion but the eventual answer to the question can be summarised right at the beginning of the thread.

Here is an example of similar to what I mean: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Does-compression-increase-speed-for-DATA-and-PROC-steps-when/td-p/522099

The “answer” is right at the top of the thread, so if you just want to know the answer then it is right there. However the opportunity for people to immediately discuss the issue doesn’t cause the answer to get buried.

1 Like

interesting. I’m going to add to this idea - the way Discourse handles it is that a mod can mark a post as the “answer” for a thread, and appears first just under the original post (see other topics on this site). I think that this would be possible to implement for JudgeApps.

This might also be important to show on every page of a thread, not just the first page. A lot of people click links from email notifications and get the second, third page of a thread. Maybe we should show the first post and the accepted answer (or possibly the first paragraph thereof with a “show more…” link) at the top of each page of a thread.

I’ll look into it!

1 Like

This feature is now live. If you’d like to see an example, I’m using this thread to test. And if you have any suggestions to make it less…ugly…that would be appreciated. I am not a UI designer. :wink:

The feature marks the “Accepted Answer” to a given thread. That won’t always be “O”, as we also can see this being used in places like the Knowledge Pool forum, or even in individual event forums. (“O” status is still per the forum protocol.)

The mods (thanks Scott!) are going to mark accepted answers in some of the more recent threads, and in new threads going forward. Please don’t use the “Report” feature to ask us to mark a post as the Answer, we’ll get around to it if we feel it is appropriate, and we’d like to reserve “Report” for problems that need a moderator’s urgent attention.

Thanks for the suggestion, Winter!

2 Likes

You should probably add that remark about not using the report feature to the page where the report reason is entered.
More people will see it there than here :wink:

On page 2 of a forum thread, the original post is added at the top, with the accepted answer right below. The original post doesn’t have any special formatting however, which can lead to people confusing it for a reply.