Mouseover for applications is frustrating

Hi,

I keep having issues with trying to read applications for one of my events. I like the new popup behavior in the table (way better than the mouse-following popup). Making it mouseover is frustrating, as going a bit too far means that what’s on my monitor suddenly shifts on me.

Would it be possible to have an “expand application” button instead, so I have control over what gets expanded?

Thanks!

1 Like

+1

maybe make it click instead of hover.

(You can currently click anywhere on the row to open/close, or hover over the username hyperlink to open.)

This is a notoriously hard part of the website to get right. It needs to be responsive to different desktop screen sizes, and it should be at least usable on mobile. It also needs to display applications of many different sizes - some people have 10 page long cover letters, some applications might have 10 comments on them - without requiring a ridiculous amount of scrolling.

I’d consider changing it, or even adding a setting to get a different version of that page, but the current design is the best idea I came up with when I was rewriting it a while ago. If anyone wants to put together an HTML/JS mockup of what you think it should look like, and if we agree that it’s an improvement, then I’ll certainly work on implementing it.

Are PC and mobile versions of the page the same?
I think the main problem is that on mobile, your finger isn’t continuously on the screen, so you can “jump” from one place to another. When using a mouse, on the other hand, the movement is continuous, so you tend to “hover” over the username by accident all the time.

Maybe adding a 100ms delay can solve the issue, as it’s almost unperceivable to a human, but way longer than a passing mouse.

Yuval’s fix makes a lot of sense, I suggest an even higher delay, e.g. 400 ms.

I keep getting this wrong on Desktop (Safari/Mac) and it’s getting more and more frustrating. I keep accidentally hovering over a link while editing text. Maybe it’s because I’m using a trackpad? Also, the webpage often doesn’t scroll to the top of the accidentally opened div but to a position much further down the page, so I have to scroll up to close it again, then find where I was previously.

Sorry for the spam, but I just realized why I keep falling into the mouseover trap: I keep expecting the judge picture to appear when I mouseover the name! This is a usability issue more than a functional issue, and I don’t really know a good way to resolve it, other than to display a judge picture thumbnail in each row.