Editing Review caused Server Error

Attempted to edit a review (ID 70183 if relevant/helpful) and every time got a server error redirecting to the bug report page. Both Save and Save & Continue Editing gave this error back. Adding a blank section to the review allowed me to save the edits. Possibly relevant detail is that the entirety of the text in the review was being changed.

I see the error in our logs (a hidden field called “sections_order” is blank, but it should have the text “section_row_1”). Another user got a similar error a few weeks ago, but otherwise it seems to be pretty rare.

Were you doing anything weird with sections of the review, to trigger this error? If you know how to open the “developer tools”, can you tell me if there are any errors in the Javascript console, and if so, copy/paste them here?

Can you tell me everything that I need to click, starting from when I load the “review edit” page (https://apps.magicjudges.org/reviews/edit/70183/) in order to trigger this error?

I remove Strengths and Areas for Improvement, leaving only Comments but I do that for all reviews.

Cannot replicate the error at this time. Had other reviews where I edited them without this error before and after this review as well. I assume it was tied to editing, then somehow catching/doing something with Ctrl+A , Ctrl+V to paste in an entirely new body of text.

Sincerely,
Joseph Steet

I’m guessing that this is an issue with the page not being completely loaded (either it hasn’t completely loaded period, or it hasn’t completely loaded when you take some action). Looking at the code, there might be a /very small/ window where such an error could happen, so I’m going to try and refactor to prevent it. Let us know if you see this again, and I’ll watch for any additional occurrences in our error logs as well.

(Developers: see T1946)

This is, regrettably, still happening for some people. What is happening is that the “sections_order” form field is being sent back blank. We may want to find some way to resolve that on the server side (guess the correct section order, for example) instead of trying to prevent it on the client, because I have no idea why it’s happening.

After typing up my last 2 reviews I have clicked “Save draft” and been taken to a Hiccup/Bug report page.

After playing with a few, It only seems to happen if I populate all 3 review fields? Just filling out the initial boxes at the top and keeping the comments/AoI/Strengths boxes at the bottom empty it does not happen.

" Page unavailable

Sorry, but the requested page is unavailable due to a server hiccup.

This is probably due to a bug that we don’t know about. Please let us know so we can fix it. "

This is the same as Editing Review caused Server Error

We haven’t found anyone who was able to reliably reproduce this, and it doesn’t make any sense based on the code. Are you running any unusual browser extensions? The issue is that a hidden field called “sections_order” is being submitted empty, but it’s supposed to contain some important information about what order the review sections are supposed to be in. Are you able to tell why that field is being blanked?

I am not able to tell that, the only plugins I use are adblockers.

I am also unable to recreate this error despite having encountered it twice previously.

Sincerely,
Joseph Steet

Just ran into this bug again.

Typed up a review on my phone and clicked save as draft, ran into same page as last time and it ended up eating a page and a half.

No add-ons, not sure what is causing it.

This shouldn’t happen anymore. (It shouldn’t have happened in the first place, but now I’ve updated the side to make extra sure.) I’ll be keeping an eye on the error logs to see if there are any recurrences, but hopefully this won’t happen again.